If you have a female cat and suspect she may be pregnant, there are certain signs you should look for. It is important to be informed so that you can be prepared for when the kittens arrive. Here are five symptoms that may indicate your cat is pregnant.
1. Vomiting. Just like humans, cats will often get sick and vomit when they are pregnant.
2. Weight Gain. You may notice that your cat has been gaining weight. This could be a result of the growing kittens she is carrying as well as increased appetite.
3. Enlarged Nipples. A few weeks into her pregnancy, your cat’s nipples will likely become much more noticeable. They may also turn redder than they were before.
4. Swollen Tummy. As the kittens continue to grow, her abdomen will begin to swell and may be sensitive to the touch. Try to avoid coming in contact with this region.
5. Maternal Nature. Because your cat is becoming a mother, she may exhibit some maternal qualities. This may include increased purring or seeking extra attention.
If you notice any of these signs, take your pet to a vet to have them confirm whether or not she is indeed pregnant. If she is, she will require additional care during and after her pregnancy. For more signs that your cat may be carrying kittens, contact Family Pet Clinic at (262) 253-2255.